Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Week 5

Activities:1. Watch the Common Craft video and the the Atomic Learning session on Wiki’s. How could you use this in your classroom/library? What are some of the positives about using a Wiki verses just paper and pencil? How do Wiki’s compare to blogs?

I see where there are definite applications of wikis to collaborate with fellow educators. Especially between classroom teachers and librarians. However, among students at the elementary level I think the applications will be limited. Now don’t jump on my comment yet..I simply mean our students really need to know how to read before they can wiki..the time it will take to have students key/type in their comment, idea, or suggestion is not typically feasible in the classroom setting. Of course there will be students who can benefit from a wiki…upper elementary on through high school.

2. Compare Blogs and Wikis. Which do think is easier? Good and Bad for both?

Blogs are managed and updated by one person while the viewers are limited for the most part as just that … viewers. While wikis are allow for input from the proprietor and the viewers. An anology might be: blog=one way street; wiki=2 way street.
I don’t think it is a question of which is easier but which fits the needs of the users. I know that the wiki that Michelle set up for the librarians of BISD tends to be used very little..my contribution have been nil. I know from me it is simply a time management issue. The librarians seem to have our need to communicate down to a system so logging into yet another application is not that helpful when immediate help is needed. However, I realize that many times we could use the wiki for those needs that are not immediate. i.e. inventory procedures, listing of TLC issues and their resolutions.


#3-My plan to use a wiki…to profit from Michelle’s work by...using the BISD Librarian Wiki space to keep informed …this is #8 on my list of 2010-2011 goals.

1 comment:

  1. Lunch one day to look over your list? Maybe we have some things that we could work on together!

    ReplyDelete